Wednesday, June 22, 2016

This May Just Be Actionable

It would seem that red means a lot more than "Scram!" [More]

See?

What does it mean when a website is blocked and flagged in red as a reported unsafe website?A reported unsafe website has been confirmed by reputable sources as fraudulent or linking to malicious software and has been reported to Microsoft. Microsoft recommends you do not give any information to such websites.

So by putting the red warning up, Microsoft is telling SmartScreen users that"reputable sources" have "confirmed" I am either a fraud and/or am linking to malicious software? Is that what they're calling Facebook alternative Gun District? Is there more to that?

Regardless, I put my personal reputation and my "brand name" into this for those I care about. Lose those and you got nothin'.

I don't care what "progressive" trolls think-- but this is the major influential multi-billion dollar global software behemoth Microsoft we're talking about here, singling out little me (and who knows who else?).  I need to see what my options are here, including whether the identity of the individual doing the initial reporting is discoverable.

7 comments:

bondmen said...

There's a pot of gold in them there hills David and this appears to be an actionable cause for certain. I would pursue this if I had as much deniro as do you brother!

You could always request help from your attentive and engaged readers. There's nothing like a great legal battle.

Ed said...

So much for Open Internet:

https://www.fcc.gov/general/open-internet

Jerry The Geek said...

Funny, it must have been fixed, as I don't get any kind of interference when I access your website.

I feel a little left out. Maybe I'm running the wrong version of Microsoft?

David Codrea said...

Yeah,I don't get it either-- evidently Smart Screen is a filter for Internet Explorer, the most used browser in the world, I believe, and it has to be turned on, but I tried it and seem to get through OK-- that said, I've had two independent readers send me their screen shots warning them away. We'll have to see if tech support responds to my inquiry. The real issue here, like the Facebook snitch censoring, is that evidently any user can "report" a site-- and someone on the Microsoft end agreed and activated the warning. Executions shouldn't happen by surprise.

Anonymous said...

I use Windows 7 and normally use FireFox, so I saw nothing. Pasted your link into IE but got no warnings either. Is this a Windows 10 thing, perhaps?

KUETSA said...

I connect to your site often and have never gotten any "WARNINGS"
Then again - I'm using Mozilla Firefox - I should try in Explorer

Anonymous said...

I have Windows 10, and Firefox. No problems.