Friday, November 11, 2016

Close Channel D

[More]
Yeah, I know Robert Vaughn was a "liberal," and I know the show was about globalist UN cops. Back then, we didn't think about such things -- perhaps that was a conditioning design feature, or perhaps it was just stupid, cool entertainment for kids.

Hell, I also watched The F.B.I. with Efram Zimbalist Jr. See, I tried to like big government.

In any case, this was a big part of my life, about the time I was also into Aurora monster models, Star Trek (a.k.a.  Space UN), Adam West's Batman and a universe of Marvel characters taking us places DC hadn't considered.  I had all the paperback Man from U.N.C.L.E. novels and this was an awesome favorite.

And there was this, from before the culture had become infected with anti-toy gun PSH:


I'm sorry to see the man pass. I'm glad I enjoyed his work before he did.

9 comments:

Steve said...

I saw a movie recently, The American Side, that he had a small part in. I remember thinking, hey, Robert Vaughn! Besides that, I remember Superman III, maybe a few other things.

Mike H said...

Had occasion to talk with him. Wouldn't say we saw eye to eye politically -s-, but he was a gentleman.

Jeff said...

I loved the Man from U.N.C.L.E.. I had the toy gun pictured, when I was a kid.
I remember taking ballpoint pens apart, making a pretend communicator. Have you ever seen Battle Beyond the Stars? Goofy space movie with Robert Vaughn. RIP.

rjbrash said...

Plenty of actors whose abilities I admired even though their politics sucked. Vaughn's work on The Magnificent Seven was great. And he was a gentleman. I had this conversation with my wife and son recently. I can respect the acting ability of Sean Penn. However, he is a vile, wretched pos prog and the world would be a much better place if he were dead.

RIP Mr. Vaughn

Mack said...

I'm with Jeff, in that I also had the gun and the accessories ...

AND I took them with me to school!

Ned said...

Cool gun, but I had a Johnny Seven OMA...

Mack said...

David,

"Hell, I also watched The F.B.I. with Efram Zimbalist Jr. See, I tried to like big government."

That's funny; me too.

Did you ever watch O'Hara, U.S. Treasury?

Just wondering.

JohninMd.(Help!?!!) said...

It was a great time to be a boy.... I loved it.

Mike V. said...

He was the last living member of the cast of The Magnificent Seven. And I had the Man From Uncle kit as well. Good times.