Tuesday, February 21, 2017

After All, They Register Cars, Don't They?

Yes, they do.  And I just got this in my mailbox:

[Click to enlarge]


I sold the Mustang about a year ago.  And in Ohio, you don't just have to satisfy one set of bureaucrats to transfer a title, you need to go through three: the Ohio EPA "e-check" for proof of emissions compliance before transfer, and where I live the buyer needs to go through two separate BMV offices -- one to process title transfers and the other to issue new license plates.

So why, after all that, do they not know I no longer own this car? What if I'd bought and later sold a gun jumping through all the mandated hoops? Or reported it stolen, as some would require?

I shudder to think what could happen if it were used in a crime. If a situation similar to this vehicle cluster**** happened, I doubt I'd have gotten notice by mail, but could have instead been "visited" by men with the prime directive to make it home at the end of their shift. This shows it's hardly that far-fetched to suppose obeying "common sense gun safety laws" and entrusting government workers to get it right could prove far from safe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree further ! EXACTLY!!!!!!!
Best description i have seen to date to make sure the govt has less infringements on the 2nd A

Anonymous said...

free. FREE eCheck?!?!?
When we lived in Ohio the darn test was $20!!!!! (1980s and 90s)
South Carolina now. No Such Thing.

David Codrea said...

Oh, somebody pays for it.

Steve said...

Here in Missouri we have to get a safety inspection every two years. Yet somehow I see junk on the road.

I bought my current car out of state, and when I went to get it registered I was told I needed an authorized inspection station to verify the odometer. What a waste of time that was. I guess they wanted to make sure someone didn't Ferris Bueller it.